Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Something new and spooky to an old classic

Ok, I'll start off by saying that it has been quite a while since I pulled out the old Bicycle cards and played any sort of traditional card game. Mostly because I'll admit that I never knew how to play any traditional card games other than Black Jack, therefore not having any interest in them, and the only exposure I'd have would be once a year on Christmas eve when one side of my family would play for most of the night.

Just recently, however, I received an email from Milan Colovic, a Serbian artist who just happened to have a liking to the darker stuff. What he showed me was the project he was working on called the "Asylum Playing Cards" published by Bicycle. After the conversation he and I had through e-mail and looking at pictures of the cards, I must say that I am impressed, and sorta wanting to pull out my playing cards again and actually learn how to play something.

When I saw the word "Asylum" attached to the project, I'll admit that my first thought was that it was going to be one of those trading card games like Magic: The Gathering, only based off the camp produced by The Asylum production company. The Aylum brought such works such as Transmorphers and I Am Omega. Yup, The Asylum is that company pushing out the growing "mockubusters" you may have seen floating around stores or the net. (Side Note: Is it just me that tends to confuse Michael Bay's production company Platinum Dunes as being The Asylum, or at least a subsidiary of it, at times? I dunno, guess I don't pay too close attention to realize they're two different entities.)


The doctor is very reminiscent of Vincent Price

However, unlike The Asylum film production company, these cards don't seem to be insulting to anyone's intelligence, and seem to have a lot of artistic merit behind them. Highly detailed and very spooky, these cards are something special.




Inspired by the art of Alphones Mucha, horror films, and of course the traditionalism of card games, Colovic has created that classic idea of the card game using a somewhat modern theme. Adding a horror touch to the cards, each of the king, queen, and joker cards has a very spooky design to them that has a really cool look to them. Many bring back thoughts of watching an older horror movie.



 
Even if you don't get any of the higher tier cards from the deck in your hand, you'll still be able to enjoy the aesthetic of these cards. Each of the numbered cards have the traditional look, but of course with horror theme to them. Each have a weathered, slightly burned, almost rusty look to them and the reds tend to look as if they're slightly bloodied.




They're not for everyone, especially if you're like me and don't play card games all that often, but they are pretty interesting, at least for the aesthetic. These are certainly something for those who're into the darker side of things and want to add that to their card games or want to play cards on Halloween.


Regrettably, it appears these cards are only getting a single printing, so we most likely won't be seeing them sold as a staple like we do of the basic cards, which is too bad. It would have been cool to at least see these filling up the shelves or end caps on the game aisle every Halloween time.

No comments:

Post a Comment